Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Beans

As an excessive wonderer ... I often dwell into my sanctuary I call La-La-Land ..
or more specifically Why-Why-Land. Dreaming and pondering just about anything, imagining myself in some "what-if" situations .. and I could get all emotional with all my illusive imaginations.

Always like a curious little girl exploring the great big world and its magnificent surprises brought to mankind .. and always questioning their existence and origin.

I guess they didn't really teach us enough in school .. or that picture books weren't that complete. The one question not many .. or none (so far) has been able to give me a definite and confident answer to ...


Where to Red Beans/Green Beans come from .. and what do their plants or trees look like?

We all know beansprouts or tauge come from green beans through amateur science experiments during school, but where do these beans come from? And we've all ate stuff made from red beans .. red bean paste, red bean soup .. used red beans as art projects, fillings for batu seremban (5-stones) etc etc ..

So .. my googling starts to satisfy my curiosity .. wasn't really "satisfied" coz it was so hard to get the answer (or picture .. coz I'm so illiterate that I need pictures to facilitate learning). So this is what I've got ..

The red beans we always consume/use are actually called
Azuki Beans. And this is what Azuki bean plants look like ....


From Seed ...

... to the Flower ...

... to the Pod.

So the next time you come across a "bean" pod, don't assume it's the green beans or long beans we normally eat. By all means, appreciate the beans we eat coz people who actually cultivate beans really put their hard work into collecting these beans.

Additional info ..

Green beans are actually called Mung Beans.
(sorry..no mung bean plant .. and beansprouts aren't the real plant .. or adult plant)

Soy Bean plants look like this:

Now we can be a smart ass and be some annoying-over-intelligent-arse and use proper terms. *hehe*
... "May I have a bowl of Azuki Bean dessert" ...
... "Auntie .. one Azuki Bean bun please" ...
*smart ass !*

And by the way .. there's limited amount of pictures .. or none of how each bean plant look like. If you guys come across any website that has a complete picture book on bean plants, please forward the link to me. I'm dead curious!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really have nothing else better to do, do you???

Jamieternity said...

yea ... i'm jez curious !!! why aren't you online anymore? i wanna bug and annoy you dear ! hehe!

yn2bf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yn2bf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.